Monday, September 12, 2011

Fabric: Ceylon and Rooibos

Just a quick post here, but I wanted to follow up with pictures of my new fabric for Ceylon and Rooibos. 


For Rooibos I decided on this great teal oxford cotton. It has white threads on the warp and teal on the weft. It makes for a cool muted teal color that is brought out by the teal poplin contrast lining and piping that I bought. Although it's an inexpensive cotton poly blend, I just love the crisp, smooth feel of the poplin. I kind of want to make an entire dress out of that, but it wouldn't do much to keep me warm! 



For Ceylon I bought this beautiful yellow cotton. I love the stripes with the tiny flower cut outs. It's semi sheer however, so I'm going to underline it with something. I would like to make it warmer to increase the amount of time I'll be able to wear it as the weather turns. I read a Threads article that recommended flannelette for that purpose, but I've never actually seen that in a store, so I'm not sure if it would be too thick for this dress and create strangeness. If so, I'll likely use a cotton batiste, which would have a similar drape. I will definitely have to experiment beforehand to figure out what I want to do. 


So much for my plan of getting wool for one or both of these dresses! In any case, I'm getting to work. I used Sebastian's nap time today to trace and cut out my Rooibos muslin. Now to stitch it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment