Friday, September 9, 2011


Okay! It's finally done! My Fall Fashion Overhaul epic-planning phase is finally finished. I kept going back and forth on color palette. At first I just loved this palette (I call it Fall In Paris) based on the picture below:



However, once I got to the fabric store, I realized I wasn't finding many fabrics that worked with the palette. The more I got to thinking about it, the less sure I was that I would be comfortable wearing those colors. I love the mustard and poppy red, but I couldn't see them as more than highlights in my wardrobe. A mustard cardigan here. A red necklace or skirt there. For an entire dress or tunic and pants? I know I'd feel self-conscious while wearing it, even if it did look good and the whole point is to feel comfortable with what I'm wearing to help express what is on the inside. So I decided to move on and went with this palette instead:




In the end, I'm so much happier with it. These are colors I already love and gravitate towards - plus I found fabrics that worked with the palette! I'll try to get pictures of those up very soon.

As I mentioned previously, Colette Patterns has started their Fall Palette Challenge too, which I had been anticipating. So I've decided to "officially" participate in that and as a result, I've decided on a preliminary set of clothes to sew:

- Colette Pattern's Rooibos dress
- Colette Pattern's Ceylon dress
- BurdaStyle #128 Tunic
- Colette Pattern's Clover (pants)


It's a bit heavy on the Colette Patterns obviously, but I've really been wanting to sew up some of their dresses and their new pant pattern looks really simple, but cute. I'm going to be daring and break away from my normal boot cut style on that one. :P If I get really productive or ambitious, I'll also add in these two:


- BurdaStyle #114 Long A-line Skirt
- BurdaStyle #107 Three quarter sleeve blouse


I have 8 weeks for the challenge period, but there isn't really any enforced deadlines, so I'll just do the best I can as life allows. Since it seemed extraneous to make a mood board for outfits of a similar style and color when I already knew what I wanted, I decided to just make a collage of the patterns instead:
Fall Patterns

I found fabric for Ceylon and Rooibos, but I'm still looking for the skirt and blouse. I have something in my stash that might work for the tunic, but I'll have to play with that fabric and decide if I want to use it for this. 

As I mentioned above, I have finished my entire plan, not just the pieces for this challenge. There is quite a bit more that I need to round out what I currently have and I've mostly decided what I'll buy and what I'll make. Since there are so many items, I'll be gathering these things together slowly, over time. It feels good to be on track with a plan though and having concrete plans for sewing projects is motivating. I'm looking forward to this!

Hope you all have a nice weekend and I'll try to get pictures of my fabric up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment