Tuesday, August 16, 2011


Alright! I'm back with part 1 of my effort to recreate my closet into something that more accurately reflects me, while inspiring me to sew more. My first task is to take a good look at what is essential in the things I actually wear so that I can translate that to different styles and make clothes that I actually want to wear. 

My end goal is to look more fashionable, while still being practical. To that end, I have made a few lists:

What elements are essential in what I wear?
- Comfort
- Freedom of movement
- Reasonable modesty (not all long sleeved turtlenecks, but no super low cut tops either - I am 
  taking care of a little guy after all and there is lots of bending, shirt pulling, etc.)
- Warmth (Seattle gets cold and rainy)
- Can wear a bra with it (I'm not a bra-less kind of girl. It uh...gets too cold for that here).
- Non-delicate, kid-friendly material (no delicate crochet work for me!)
- Washable (don't have the time or money for regular dry cleaning)

What garments fit these criteria?
- Knee-length dresses (with shorts or tights underneath for warmth and to prevent "accidental exposure". :P)
- Cardigans
- Casual blazers (washable material)
- Slacks (washable material) 
- Shirts, variety (washable& bra-friendly, both knit and woven)
- Jeans
- Knee-length skirts (with tights or shorts for the same reasons as above)
- T-shirts (on occasion - don't overuse!)

What would I like to wear more of?
- Dresses
- Comfy slacks
- Cute shoes

Next is ruthlessly going through my current clothes to see what is still useable, what types of clothes I need more of, and patterns that I like to fill those gaps. Also, I will decide what I would be better off just buying. The hardest part for me is figuring out how to look nicer while still staying warm. I run cold anyway, so just a cardigan doesn't cut it outside most of the year. I'm trying not to resort to wearing sweatshirts over the top of everything all the time. I'll look for ideas in the inspiration portion of this plan though! Coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment