Friday, August 12, 2011

Plans


I’m a planner by nature. I like things organized and mapped out. And of course this applies to my sewing as well. So, I’ve been thinking about what I’d like to sew in the near future. I’ll also admit that I also hope having a plan will help me set some goals to increase my sewing productivity.

Although there are some really fabulous summer creations going on out there in blogland right now, I’m trying really hard to put my focus more on fall. Seattle summers are gorgeous, but short lived and by mid-September, I’ll be pulling out the warmer fall fashions. Since I’m trying to be realistic in my expectations with how long it will take me to finish projects, I know I need to focus there.

In my effort to create a plan for my next few projects, I’ve had to think a lot about what type of clothes I want to make and what looks good on me. That might seem simple, but for a woman stuck in the same clothes I wore in college (literally in some cases!), it’s been difficult.

Before I became a mother, I had grown and changed from that college girl into something new that didn’t quite fit the clothes I still wore: jeans and fitted tees with one or two pairs of the same sensible shoes. I wanted to change it, but I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to be wearing and it has always felt frivolous to spend much money on clothes, so I just stayed where I was and used my job and lifestyle as an excuse. While it’s true that my job in a cat shelter (think claws and vomit) and favorite weekend pastime of lounging around the house wasn’t conducive to keeping nicer clothes looking nice or motivating enough to put them on in the first place, I still used it mostly as an excuse. After all, I’m sure I could have found some middle ground – clothes that looked cuter than my jeans and t-shirts, but were still comfortable and sturdy enough to withstand scared cat.

Now that I’m a mom and have accepted that new role, I feel like I have changed and grown again, leaving that old outward appearance feeling even farther away from the person I am now. It feels like I can’t just put it off anymore. And doesn’t that just sound melodramatic?

Melodramatic or not, it’s gotten me thinking about the things I’d like to wear, but also, what would actually look good on my body and is practical. Like most people, there are lots of things I like that just aren’t terribly flattering on me. Likewise, no matter how much I like a garment or how good it looks on  me, I’m just not going to wear it much if it doesn’t stand up to my lifestyle.

Over the next two weeks, I’ll be sharing my efforts to create a plan to revamp my wardrobe. Once I figure out what I have, what I need, and what I’m looking for in garments, I’ll decide what I can sew to make that happen. I really would like a good portion of my closet to become items sewn by me, though that will take time. So I hope you’ll come along for the ride and offer your opinions too.

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment