Monday, July 25, 2011

Goodbye to a Friend and Thinking Out Loud


It's been a while. Sebastian's birthday party was fun and our vacation was lovely, but life has just been absolutely crazy-busy ever since. Just before we left on vacation, we had to euthanize one of our cats, Mage, which was heartbreaking. She was 13 and it was a hard call to make with an incomplete diagnosis and the possibility of a very difficult surgery and recovery for her that didn't have great chances of resulting in a longer, high quality of life. Needless to say, there were lots of tears and a long deliberaton. I've been missing her ever since and keep thinking I see her in places she used to lie, which is like a fresh jolt of grief each time it happens. But I'm dealing with it and trying to move forward. The busy schedule has helped with that.

I helped to organize volunteers for a charity auction for MEOW Cat Rescue (where I used to work before Sebastian was born). It is their major fundraiser and entirely volunteer run, so it was quite the task, especially since I did all my work for it during nap times or after Sebastian went to sleep. It went great, but I was ready for all the work to be over with so I could have some breathing room. I didn't get it though because next up was a surprise visit by my in-laws. It was nice to see them and they were helpful with Sebastian, which was great, but after everything else I'm ready to have the house and our routine back to normal for a little bit. They left this morning and the house already seems quieter and more mellow. Aaaaah!

Now that things are settling, I've been turning my mind to my next sewing project. During all the busyness, I did what I normally do to escape: indulged in voracious reading during any moment I could steal for myself. Now, however, I think I'm ready to start sewing something small and simple. I was never able to finish my dress before leaving on vacation, but I'm not ready to start in on that right now. I'm feeling the need for some almost-instant gratification. I've been considering Dana's 90 Minute Kid Shirt for Sebastian. I bought some rib knit a while ago with that in mind and thought of using one of my husband's old shirts or maybe one I pick up at the thrift store. But I also like this burda style shrug. Simple and cute. I'm just not sure how much use I'd get out of it long-term living here in Seattle where a shrug doesn't cut it most of the time. I've also thought about just stitching up some bibs because we only have 2 for eating (lots of small "drool bibs", but those aren't very useful anymore), or maybe a little owl plushie for Sebastian. I'll likely decide over the next few days. Once I get some free time again, I'll be able to plan a little and go through my fabric stash to see what would work for those projects.

Anyway, this post is really all about thinking out loud. Hopefully, I'll have a fun completed project to post up here soon. In any case, I'm back and the posts should return to their normal Tuesday/Friday schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment