Friday, June 10, 2011

Waiting for Summer: Shorts



Man, it’s been a rough couple of days around my house. My son has been in a cranky mood and I’m not really sure why, but I’m in need of a break for sure! Whew! My husband did bring me flowers last night though! Peonies too!! My favorites. 

But let’s talk about shorts instead!


As I mentioned in my last post, I finished these over the weekend and I’m fairly happy with how they turned out, given the pattern I was working with and the disastrous results of my jeans.  These were made from the same pattern as my jeans (Built By Wendy Pant from Sew U). I just modified things a little by cutting off the long legs and widening the pattern at the bottom.


Like with the jeans, I like where the waistband sits and the length of the shorts. I’d be interested to make a pair with a bit wider legs for a different, less fitted look, but I find these quite comfortable and a really nice basic short. Everything was so much easier sewing with this nice brown twill WITHOUT any stretch messing things up! I would like to get rid of the wrinkle lines around the fly, but I’m not sure how. They don’t feel tight, so I’m not sure why those lines occur. I’m trying to do some research on that one. I think it might be a crotch length issue, after reading Sunni's post, but I'm not sure that's the only issue because the wrinkle lines occur higher up along the fly too. I'll have to fiddle with it to see if I can figure it out.

I’d like to make more pairs of shorts this summer, but I think I’m going to try a different pattern. This one is pretty easy to put together, but I’d like to see if I struggle less with fit using a different pattern. I know pants are probably the hardest garment to fit appropriately, so I’m sure I’ll need to make adjustments to any pattern, but it would be nice to see if a different pattern gets me closer on the first try. I’ve also thought of trying to draft my own pattern. I have Cal Patch’s book, Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified and I’ve really been itching to try out some of her projects. So perhaps I’ll try my hand at it once I finish my dress and the Sorbetto top. I have taken a pattern drafting class a couple of years ago and ended up with a top sloper, so the concepts of pattern making are not foreign and don’t really intimidate me, despite the other random holes in my sewing knowledge.

I’ve also been considering what, if anything, I’ll bring with me on vacation to sew. My mom isn’t a sewer, so I won’t be bringing anything that requires a machine, but I’m undecided about whether or not to bring some embroidery or another small and portable needlework project. Ideas, anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment