Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sunny Weekend




What lovely weather we had in Seattle this weekend! After a pretty pathetic summer last year and a colder and rainier fall, winter, and spring than usual, I am so ready for some sun and heat and my wish was granted with three days in the upper 70s! It kept me pretty busy the last few days, but being outside has been nice. On Sunday I spent a couple of hours in my P-Patch plot and harvested a ton of lettuce, chard, radishes and sage that have finally started to grow like crazy. It’s also finally warm enough that I can plant my summer crops, so I did a bit of work to get things back into shape and ready for my tomatoes, squash, basil, peppers and beans. It was nice being outside in the fresh air; it made me realize how much time I spend indoors recently.

The city of Seattle runs the P-Patch program, which is a city-wide network of community gardens that residents can sign up for and receive a plot in one of the gardens to grow your own organic veggies. It’s great because they offer so much support and gives people like me, who rent homes or own condos, etc., to garden.  The only requirement is that you garden organically and keep it free of weeds. I was on the waiting list for two and a half years before I got a plot last April and because my son was born in June, my plot was a bit neglected. So this year has been fun because I’ve been able to do more with it. Although the growing season has started out very slowly, things are finally starting to grow and look pretty nice, as you can see above. I’m hoping we get enough heat this summer to get some good tomatoes; that can be a challenge here in the Pacific Northwest.

I also got some sewing done this weekend, which was nice. I finished my shorts and am quite pleased with them. They turned out nicely and I’ll have some pictures to share on Friday.



Saturday afternoon we had a baby birthday party at a nearby park. Three of my new mom friends all have babies born around the same time as Sebastian, two before and one after, so we decided to have a small birthday get together, complete with husbands, babies and cupcakes! We had a lot of fun and Sebastian really seemed to enjoy playing with the other babies and going down the big slide with dad. 



This Saturday is Sebastian’s actual birthday so we’re having a small party. I didn’t want anything too big, but do want to celebrate it. So we’ll have a few friends and family members over to barbeque and have some ice cream. Even though it’s nothing formal, I still find that there is a lot to plan, especially on top of our upcoming vacation! We leave next Tuesday, so I am also planning for all the packing and preparing we’ll need to do for that. Just to top it off, I’m also helping with the annual charity auction for my old workplace, MEOW Cat Rescue, which has a workload that is beginning to ramp up too. Phew!! I’m feeling a little frantic right now!

Despite those frantic feelings, or maybe because of them, I really want to spend time reading and sewing this top. It’s so pretty and I know it will be very easy to make. I’d love to sneak it in before I leave on vacation, especially since my delayed fabric order means my dress won’t be done by then. We’ll see how it goes, but I have started to prep some fabric for it, in case I find myself with a bit of free time. 




This is a lightweight cotton that I found at a thrift store and while it’s perhaps not something I’d normally buy in a store for this pattern, I do think it will look pretty cute once it’s made up. Especially with my new shorts! I’m planning on an orange or green bias tape to bind the neck and armholes.  I’ll decide once I’m able to hold things up to the fabric at the store. Wish me luck in getting this done!

No comments:

Post a Comment