Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Shirt for the Kiddopotomus



Well, in the end, after almost no deliberation at all, I decided that my next project would be Dana’s 90 Minute Shirt. The best part was, it really only took me 90 minutes! I started last Tuesday evening and had it finished in the same day. I can’t think of the last time I worked on something like that and it was just what I was in the mood for. It was easy to make and FUN! I’m already ready to crank out a few more.

The bad part? I totally made it too small! Oops! T-shirt jersey clearly doesn’t have the same amount of stretch that Sebastian’s onesies do (which I used to make my pattern). Oh, well. It was still so fun that I’m not too disappointed by it. Plus, it was made from one of my husband’s old t-shirts, so no big loss in fabric there either.

I didn’t have a chance to try again until Sunday. This one fits much better! I made it a little large so he’ll have a chance to wear it for a while because he still seems to outgrow things so quickly.


However, I think there are a few things I would do differently next time: I had to guess on the neckline and I think I lowered it a little too much, especially in the back, so I’ll bring that up a little in the future so it doesn't gape too much. Also, I don’t have a serger, but I wanted that contrasting thread look on the rib knit, like in Dana’s example, so I zigzagged it. I do like the contrast, but the result was that the edge looks a bit frayed, so I think I’ll just try it without next time and see what I like better. Also, using a new shirt instead of my husband's old castoff would probably look a little less worn and be softer. I saw a bunch of new ones at the thrift store last week for only 99 cents, so I think I may do that next time. Hoping I can get another light blue one because I really liked that color combination.

I’m ready to add some freezer paper stenciling next. My husband wants me to add the triforce symbol from Zelda on to the shirt so Sebastian can flaunt his inner-nerd. Sounds fun, so I’ll give it a go soon. Plus, I think that will spice up the shirt a bit since my husband’s shirts aren’t terribly colorful (almost all dark grey and black!). 

I think I'll keep things interesting though and work on a different project before making more shirts, but I haven't decided what. Part of me wants to work on my dress, but since I finished weaning Sebastian a little over a week ago, I'm still waiting for my body to finish... *ahem*, adjusting. No point in making a dress now if I'm going to have a completely different chest measurement in a couple weeks! I'm sure inspiration will strike in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment