Friday, September 30, 2011

Sewing frustrations and more

Hello lovely readers! I hope your week has gone well. Mine has gotten better even though it was off to a rough start with all the sickness in our household. My brother arrived for a short visit from San Diego yesterday and it's been fun having him here. He's been able to enjoy some nice fall weather in Seattle, so we've gotten out of the hosue a bit, which has been fun for Sebastian and I since we spent the early part of the week cooped up inside recovering from illnesses. 

Partially it was being sick that has lead to my current (temporary!) lack of motivation in sewing, but it's also partially just the process itself. That is because fit is just such an annoying sewing problem. Of course, a garment that really fits well is awesome to wear. I know this because on rare occasion I will find something at a store that just feels like it was made for me. Unfortunately, I have yet to succeed with creating something like that for myself, even though that's a big motivation in sewing for myself! Part of that is because it's only in the last year that I've tried to learn more than my self-taught basics about sewing nice clothes that I really want to wear. I've made clothes before and some of them, mostly costumes in my earliest days of sewing, fit through sheer luck, but since then I haven't been as fortunate. I would spend lots of time and money only to make something that didn't fit correctly and I didn't like to wear. Even my more recent projects, like my jeans and shorts. So I feel like it's definitely worth it to create a muslin to test and adjust fit on a new pattern to ensure that I'll like and wear my final creation.

Unfortunately, muslin making is soul-sucking.


I'm still in the middle of perfecting my Rooibos muslin and I know I'll have to make at least one more before I can start on my final garment. Unfortunately, I'm starting to get bored with this project and rather discouraged because it's SUCH slow going. It's killing my motivation to stay focused and put energy into this project. I admit that, to my dismay, I am impatient with a rather short attention span, so all this muslin making is difficult for me. I suppose it doesn't help that in reality, I really only spend a few hours a week sewing due to my limited non-baby time, because it makes the project move even slower. 

In any case, I really don't like the alternative of an ill-fitting garment that I won't wear, so I guess I'll stick with it, but boy will I be happy to move on! We have a busy weekend planned, so I know I'll get little to no sewing time anyway. Maybe that is a good excuse to take a little break from thinking about it for a little bit so I'm fresh to return to it next week.

Cross your fingers for me and if you have any words of muslin-making-encouragement, bring them on!


P.S. I can access my Blogger dashboard again with the redesign! Hooray! I haven't been able to do this since a month after I first created this blog due to errors I kept getting. It has made creating blog posts difficult and redesigning the basic format I used to start out impossible because I couldn't access those functions. So look for some layout changes in the near future! 


No comments:

Post a Comment